For All your Honda Service & Parts needs in the Sioux Falls area – Since 1965
Honda Timing Belt Replacement Service
The timing belt is a crucial part of your Honda’s engine. It’s responsible for regulating the camshaft and crankshaft, which operate on precision timing, alignment, and coordination. If your timing belt fails, it will result in the immediate shutdown of your vehicle.
Not only that, when your timing belt stretches, slips off, or snaps it can cause serious damage to other engine components. Your Honda may suffer smashed pistons, bent valves, and other types of damage that require costly repairs.
To keep this from happening, it is important that you have your timing belt serviced and eventually replaced before it fully wears out and fails you.
8 Signs Your Timing Belt Needs to be Replaced
- Material Loss – Belt wear is just like tire wear in that it loses traction. The timing belt can slip off, leading to engine failure. This is more likely to happen during high load use (pulling a trailer or caravan) or in wet weather.
- Belt Abrasion – This normally occurs when there is a tensioner or pulley misalignment, excessive heat or bearing failure. Your belt’s edges will have worn down to the filaments inside.
- Cracking – You’ll see excessive cracks on the topside and underside (rib cross-section).
- Glazing – This is when the timing belt has a shiny or glossy appearance on the underside. It means the belt has gone stiff and isn’t providing the necessary flexibility to function properly.
- Piling – Your timing belt will naturally lose material over time. This substance can build up in the rib cross-sections, causing belt noise and excess vibration.
- Hydroplaning – This occurs when water cannot be dispersed away from the warm belt and pulleys. The belt then hydroplanes on water between the belt and pulleys, which causes a loss of power to engine accessories.
- Elongation – Material loss on your timing belt can also change the effective length of the belt, moving the tensioner beyond its take-up limit. This will reduce overall tension and, consequently, performance.
- Misalignment – This type of wear indicates that the tensioner internal components may have failed. This will result in a high level of noise, vibration, and excessive heat.
Here at Vern Eide Honda, your safety is our top priority, and we are dedicated to keeping your vehicle running the way it should. If you’re a Honda owner in the Sioux Falls area, Vern Eide Honda is the place to go when you need your timing belt replaced or serviced.
Our Honda Certified Technicians are kept up to date on the service requirements of the full Honda lineup. No matter the model of your vehicle, our team will know it inside and out. No other aftermarket shops will be better prepared or equipped to assess the damage to your timing belt and determine the proper course of action to get you back on the road safely.
We provide timing belt repairs, as well as full replacement services.
Schedule service online or call (605) 274-7900 to speak with a staff member directly. We look forward to earning your business!